ページ

2011年3月13日日曜日

Northern Japan Devasted by Huge Quake & Tsunami




These are the top pages of yesterday's local newspapers which I subscribe to. A powerful earthquake measuring magnitude 8.8 hit northern Japan on Friday afernoon. It was the largest ever recorded in the country which caused a 10-meter-high tsunami in Miyagi Prefecture. It is a devastating catastrophe. Luckily my son's family and my son's wife's parents, who are in Chiba Prefecture, and my brother's family, who is in Ibaragi Prefecture, are all safe, but they are still suffering from continuing aftershocks. It is a pity that we are just hopeless in the face of such awesome power of destructive nature.

1 件のコメント:

  1. Events like this remind us how small we are in this universe. My sister lives in Brookings Harbor, Oregon and their harbor was hit hard with a lot of damage! My sister's home is on a bluff over-looking the ocean (65 ft. high). She and her husband watched the water pull out and then come back in as a powerful surge. Four people lost their lives as a result. The power of the ocean is mind boggling...

    返信削除